Filet Mignon Roast

66 Comments Print This Recipe Print This Recipe
1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (479 votes, average: 3.63 out of 5)

This is my absolute favorite filet mignon dish to serve for a special occasion, such as Christmas or a birthday celebration. This cut of meat is so tender and it goes so well with any side. Most importantly, once you season and prepare the meat, there is very little “cooking” left so you can stay out of the kitchen and enjoy the celebration.

Make a point to buy top quality meat and to request a “filet mignon roast” with your butcher early enough because they may not have that cut of meat on location. I generally try to order a 1/2 lb of meat per person (or more if I want any leftovers).

Before cooking the filet mignon roast, bring to room temperature.

Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. In a large roasting pan, place the filet mignon roast fat side up, and rub olive oil over the meat. Generously season with kosher salt, pepper, and about a tablespoon of thyme. Place in the oven for about 12-15 minutes for 2-3 pound roast or 15-20 minutes for 4-5 pound roast. Reduce heat to 350 and cook an additional 20-25 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to determine when it is done to suit your taste (125 for rare and 135 for medium). Remove meat from oven and let stand (covered with aluminum foil) about 15 minutes before serving.

Serve with mushroom sauce (recipe below).

Mushroom Sauce
In a large skillet, on medium-high heat, melt:
2 tablespoons butter
Once butter is melted, add to the pan:
10 oz of coarsely chopped mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon onion powder
Cook until most of moisture from mushrooms is gone. Add to the pan:
*1/2 cup red wine
Cook until most of liquid is gone. Reduce heat and add:
1/2 cup beef broth
3-4 tablespoons pan drippings
Whisk until combined and serve over meat.

*For a lighter flavor use white wine instead of the red and chicken broth instead of beef.

Related posts:

1. Sausage Apple Almond Stuffing
  2. Easy Osso Bucco Recipe

66 Comments »

• Carol said:

Looks great. We are going to make filet roast for christmas dinner!

• Ryan said:

Filet mignon roasts are expensive, but worth it for something like Christmas dinner. This sounds great!

• Susan said:

I cooked the filet roast with the mushroom sauce for Christmas dinner. It was delicious, everyone loved it. As a matter of fact I am cooking it again for the Dolphin’s vs Jet’s game. GO DOLPHINS!

• Twice Baked Potatoes said:

[...] a special occasion or just any night of the week.  They are an excellent side dish to Prime Rib or Filet Mignon Roast.  These twice baked potatoes are so easy to make and can be made ahead of time so you can spend [...]

• Michelle said:

I just made this for a family Valentine’s Day Dinner and it was an ABSOLUTE hit! I followed the recipe exactly and it was perfect. It was as good as eating at a restaurant (and cheaper). Enjoy.

• Lauren said:

Just made this for father’s day and had to write in to tell you it was absolutely fabulous! Thank you thank you thank you!

• Dana said:

Absolutely delicious and easy to prepare! My entire family loved it – and the mushroom sauce was a great addition.

• Addie said:

Under the Mushroom Sauce recipe for the filet mignon the beef broth listing only says “1/2 beef broth.” Anyone know what the proper measurement is? Half a cup? Half a can?

Thanks for any feedback.

• Recipleased said:

So sorry, the recipe should and now reads “1/2 cup beef broth”. You can add a little more or less depending on how thick you want the sauce. Hope you enjoy it!

• Addie said:

Thanks!

• ann said:

Looks wonderful, I want to fix this for Christmas Dinner, does a 4-5 lb roast only take about an hour to cook?

thanks

• Recipleased said:

A 4-5 pound roast only takes about an hour to cook, but check the meat thermometer frequently. If you cover the meat with foil and let it rest 10-20 minutes it will continue to cook as well.

• Joan said:

What a great way to enjoy filet mignon. We made this recipe for thanksgiving and are making it again for christmas dinner this year.

• Michael said:

This looks great. How many does the sauce serve? Thanks

• Pearl said:

Loved this recipe my husbands birthday is Christmas Eve just made it . We loved the dinner, easy and simple to follow. Thank you!

• Recipleased said:

The sauce should generously serve 8-10 people, depending on how much sauce people use. You can always add a little more wine, beef broth, and pan drippings to make more sauce as well.
    Enjoy!

• Donna Gaghagen said:

My best friend served this mushroom sauce with our grilled filet mignons on New Years Eve. It was a fabulous addition to the steaks!

• Virginia said:

I made this over the holidays, obviously you can use any sauce you like, in any event what an easy, SUPERB dinner – I got absolute raves and the kitchen smelled heavenly from the thyme – I’ve already make it again for myself, LOL….thanks so much!

• LEE RILEY said:

wHAT WOULD COOKING TIME BE FOR fILET MIGNON ROAST, WELL DONE

• brenda said:

need to know what are pan drippings from?

• Beavis said:

I added some cornstarch to the beef broth in order to thicken the sauce up a bit. I also finished it with 1 additional tablespoon of butter (added after pan was taken off fire)

• Joy said:

I purchased a 7 1/2 lb. Filet Mignon Roast. I will use the thermometer for a rare roast. Can you give me any additional tips on how long to cook at 475, then how long to cook at the reduced temp of 350??? Thanks!

• Recipleased said:

I would cook it at 475 for 20 minutes. The idea is to create a crust on the outside and the time cooking shouldn’t change much unless the roast is smaller than three pounds. I would then reduce to 350 and cook for about 40-45 minutes, then check and go from there. Hope that helps and sorry for the late response.

• Danielle said:

Hi! I eat a high raw food, vegan diet but with Valentine’s Day swiftly approaching I wanted to plan something totally unexpected for my boyfriend (and the last thing he would expect is me in the kitchen cooking a dead animal!). However, I know nothing about this – I intend to follow the recipe exact but would greatly appreciate any addition tips. Also, in re: to the thyme do you use fresh or dried?

In re: to a side dish: if I wanted to serve with roasted vegetables what combination would you suggest?

• Recipleased said:

Yes, use fresh thyme. I love roasted eggplant or any squash and think they are best with just a little olive oil and salt.

• Cindy said:

I’m planning to make this dinner for Valentines Day. I was wondering if I should use regular red wine such as merlot or shiraz or is it red “cooking” wine for the sauce?

• Recipleased said:

Either work, but it is best to use a wine you would drink when cooking.

• charlene said:

ralphs market had this roast on sale in febuary. I purchas 3 of them. One for me, one for my sister and one for my daughter. We loved it for valentine’s day. I cooked mine, my sister cooked her’s but my daughter is waiting for a special occassion to cook her’s. IT WAS THE BOMB

• Suzanne Smart said:

Just wondering, if I don’t have fresh thyme will it wreck it if I use dried? And if it’s OK to substitute the dried, how much should I use? I’m planning this for Easter tomorrow and was soooo happy to find this recipe! It looks sooooo yummy! I can’t wait to try it!
    Thanks!

• Recipleased said:

Dried thyme is fine. Check the thyme bottle to see the conversion rate from fresh to dried:)

• Todd Monte said:

The dinner was wonderful, Thank you. The family enjoyed the sauce the best

• Rosemarie Zito said:

I am making filet roast for 16 people. I plan on cooking a 10-12lb roast. What are the times and temperature for such a large roast? Thanks.

• Recipleased said:

It depends on the shape of the roast. You could cut it in half so you have two equal pieces and cook as above or cook at 475 for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and check after 45 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to determine when it is done. 125 for medium rare and 135 for medium. It will continue to cook as it rests, especially if you tent it with foil.

• Carol Evans said:

I used Kosher salt, pepper, and thyme and “generously seasoned’ all sides of the roast. It was way too salty! Plus adding the pan drippings to the mushroom sauce made the sauce too salty also. The mushroom sauce recipe said to cook most of the mushroom liquid and the red wine out of the pan so the recipe ended up with only 3/4 cup of sauce at the most. This was not nearly enough for all the guests.

• Michele Brodecki said:

So I just bought 3 almost 5 lb tenderloin roasts and I’m serving 18 adults and 9 children. The butcher removed the “silver”. I have a roasting pan and I bought a foil roasting pan because I do not think it will all fit. How would you slice it to fit in the pans and how long would you cook it!? Can’t wait to use your recipe…I know it’s going to be yummy! Thanks in advance!

• Recipleased said:

It depends on the shapes of each roast. You shouldn’t need to slice them if they fit into the pans and they are similar in size. Just make sure there is room between each roast. Cook them according to the recipe above for the 4-5 pound roast and test the temp of each one to make sure they are done. Hope you have a great time!

• Recipleased said:

Salt is always to taste. If the liquid for the sauce cooks down you too much, you can always add more broth or if it tastes too salty for you, water. You want the wine to cook down so you are left with the flavor, but not the taste of alcohol.

• Irene Pollio said:

Please tell me how long to cook three fillet roasts approximately 3 – 4 pounds each cooking side by side to come out rare. Thank you.

• Recipleased said:

Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. In a large roasting pan, place the roasts fat side up, leaving space between them, and rub olive oil over the meat. Generously season with kosher salt, pepper, and about a tablespoon of thyme for each roast. Place in the oven for about 18 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and cook an additional 20-25 minutes. Start checking to determine if it is done by using a meat thermometer (125 for rare in the center of the roast). Remove meat from oven and let stand (covered with aluminum foil) about 15 minutes before serving.

• Irene Pollio said:

Thank you for your prompt answer. I will let you know how they turn out. You have made my “stress” level much less with 15 people and a lot of little kids running around in my small house while I am cooking on Christmas Eve! Happy holidays to you.

• Elisabeth Collins said:

I have a 5 pound roast and was planning to cut it into steaks for Christmas day, but your recipe sounds so much less stressful. I am assuming that you do not cover the roasting pan. Is that right? So could I just put the cover on when I remove it from oven, or is the tin foil better. I really don’t want it to continue cooking under the tent.

• Recipleased said:

Don’t cover the pan when cooking and if you don’t want it to cook after taking it out of the oven don’t cover or tent it. But let it rest so it remains juicy!

• Debi s said:

Should the roast be put on a rack or directly on the bottom of he roasting pan?

• Recipleased said:

I put it on a rack but it would be okay without as well.

• James said:

This recipe has lasted for four years so it must be pretty good. Had an idea already and this helped fill in the blanks. Yeah Christmas dinner.

• Janis Cortez said:

Can you please tell me what the cooking time for a filet mignon roast, well done would be? I realize most people prefer rare or medium but my husband only likes it well…thanks for your advice. I’m hoping to cook it tonight.

• Recipleased said:

It depends on the size of the roast. You want the internal temp to be 145 for well done. It will continue to cook as it rests when it is covered.

• Lori Brenner said:

Making a filet mignon roast for the first time. Do I need to sear it first on top of the stove? Also should I place the roast on the middle rack of the oven and will the roast have a different taste from the oven instead of grilling it.

• Recipleased said:

The higher temp basically sears the meat so don’t cook on the stove. It will have a different flavor than if it were grilled.

• Susan L said:

I have two 5lb roasts and want to wrap them in bacon. will this change the cooking time? how long do you anticipate the roasts will take. should I pepper the roasts before wrapping in bacon? I’m thinking the bacon will make them salty enough. thanks!

• Carolyn Coffey said:

How would you cook this on a barbeque???? I have a 6 lb. roast and prefer medium rare .

• Monica said:

Should the temperature of the meat (125 for medium rare, 135 for medium) be at the intended temperature when I take it out of the oven, or should I take it out prior to it reaching that temperature since it will continue to cook for 15 minutes sitting?

• Recipleased said:

I am not sure. I would guess the cooking time would be the same. You may want to blanch the bacon (boil until pink) so that it really crisps up. Let us know how it turns out!

• Recipleased said:

I would look for a BBQ specific recipe. Best of luck!

• Recipleased said:

The temps are what the meat should read before removed.

• janet said:

I have a filet mignon that weighs a pound. Don’t trust my meat thermometer for such a small roast. Could you give me an idea of how long to roast it at both temperatures? Thank you!

• Recipleased said:

I would cut the time in half on the both temps. A meat thermometer is really your best indicator though.

• Ed said:

I’ll be making a filet mignon roast for Christmas with a slightly different recipe,smear unsalted butter all over the roast then kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and into a 500 degree oven for 25 min(rare).Serve with horseradish sauce.Remind Susan that the Jets are playing the Giants not the stinky Dolphins!

• janet said:

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

• Teresa said:

I have an 8lb filet mignon roast, the butcher trimmed and tied it already, how long at each temperatures do u recommend for medium well? Thank You!

145 for medium well.

• Susan Jay said:

I bought a 7-1/2 lb roast and had the butcher cut it in half, trim and tie it … much easier to handle two small roasts as opposed to one large one. I plan to follow your recipe for the 4-5 lb roast cooking them side by side but not touching. For a delicious side dish, try grilling (can do on top of stove) asparagus with fresh minced garlic seasoned with sale and pepper. Can be served warm, room temp. or cold. Do not overcook asparagus — make sure it still has some crunch and beautiful green color.

• Susan Jay said:

I bought a 7-1/2 lb roast and had the butcher cut it in half, trim and tie it … much easier to handle two small roasts as opposed to one large one. I plan to follow your recipe for the 4-5 lb roast cooking them side by side but not touching. For a delicious side dish, try grilling (can do on top of stove) asparagus with fresh minced garlic seasoned with salt and pepper. Can be served warm, room temp. or cold. Do not overcook asparagus — make sure it still has some crunch and beautiful green color.

• Jude Lutge said:

I used some real stock from a chef friend and soaked some local dried porcini mushroom, chopped those and added to cremini, then used the porcini soaking liquid to the broth – outrageous.

• Ginger said:

Tried this recipe 4 times now, found it to be relatively easy to follow and the roast turns out awesome – what do you think about cutting the roast to stuff with a clove of garlic or two?

• Recipleased said:

Sounds good, let me know how it works!

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.